Coffee Cake with Mascarpone Cream21.11.2017
A delicious coffee cake with a twist. Perfect for all the family to enjoy.
The twist with mascarpone cream makes a great alternative to your average coffee cake.
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225g light brown muscovado sugar
- 225ml sunflower oil
- 2 large free range eggs
- 6 tsp espresso coffee or 5 tsp instant coffee granules mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 75ml whole milk
For the filling
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- 250g pot Mascarpone
- 50g walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and baseline 2x20cm cake tins.
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix well. Beat in the oil, eggs, 4 tsp of the coffee and the milk. Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out upside down onto a wire rack, remove the paper and leave to cool.
- For the mascarpone cream, put the butter in a bowl, add the sugar then use an electric whisk to beat together until light and creamy. Slowly add the mascarpone then gradually beat in the remaining coffee.
- Use half the mascarpone to fill the cake, then ice the top with the remaining half. Sprinkle with the walnut pieces and serve. Will keep for 2 days if kept covered and cool.