Courgette & Halloumi Kebabs with Green Tahini Dressing07.8.2017
A great vegetarian option for a barbecue or a simple summery lunch. Stir lemon zest, toasted, flaked almonds or chopped pistachios through a bowl of couscous to serve alongside, or just griddle or roast some red peppers. Courtesy of Riverford Organics.
3 large or 4 smaller courgettes, chopped into large bite-sized pieces
300g halloumi, cut into large cubes
2 green chillies, deseeded & finely chopped
4 tbsp sunflower or light olive oil
For the dressing
2 tbsp light tahini
2 tbsp yoghurt
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
juice of ½ a lemon (more to taste)
handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
salt & black pepp
- If you are using wooden or bamboo skewers rather than metal ones, soak them in cold water for 20 minutes to stop them burning when they cook.
- To make the dressing, stir the tahini with the yoghurt until you have a smooth paste. Whisk in the garlic, olive oil and lemon juice and add water, a little at a time, until the dressing has the consistency of pouring cream. Stir in the chopped herbs. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more lemon juice.
- Thread the courgettes and halloumi on to the skewers.
- Mix the chillies with 4 tablespoons of oil. Brush a little of this over the kebabs.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick frying pan (or use the barbecue). Fry the kebabs, brushing them with more chilli oil and turning them carefully every few minutes, until the courgettes and halloumi are golden brown.
- Serve with the tahini dressing alongside to drizzle over the kebabs.