Finger-Lickin’ Chicken with Tasty Gravy16.8.2017
When it’s something as simple as a roast chicken, you need to buy the best you can afford. Aim for organic, corn fed and be sure to stuff the roasting pan with goodies - we’ve gone for a unique twist with apples.
Easy to make chicken with an apple twist.
- 1 roasting chicken
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 medium apples
- 3 small onions
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- ¼ tsp cracked white pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 50ml fruity white wine, such as Riesling
- 150ml apple cider
- When it’s something as simple as a roast chicken, you need to buy the best you can afford. Aim for organic, corn fed and be sure to stuff the roasting pan with goodies - we’ve gone for a unique twist with apples.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine, and tuck the wings securely under. Mix the butter and mustard to a smooth paste and rub over the chicken skin and sprinkle with the remaining salt and white pepper. Place the bird in a medium roasting pan. Roast in the lower third of the oven for 30 minutes. Brush any remaining mustard-butter over the bird and continue to roast for 1 1/4 more hours.
- Baste the chicken with the pan drippings, and sprinkle with remaining sage and the thyme. Scatter the remaining apples and onions around the bird, tossing lightly to coat with the drippings. Add the white wine, and roast the chicken 20 minutes. Baste the bird, and toss the apples and onions again for even browning. Continue to roast until bird juices run clear and the meat between the leg and thigh reaches 72°C. Remove from the oven and transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Arrange the apples and onions around the chicken.
- Prepare the jus: Tip the roasting pan so the liquid pools to one end, and use a large spoon to remove any excess fat from the pan juices. Add apple cider and bring to the boil then reduce the heat. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan. If you prefer a thicker gravy, add a rue mad of plain flour and butter and cook through. Then pour the jus over the chicken, apples, and onions. Serve warm.