Leek and Smoked Cheese Macaroni06.9.2017
A wonderful twist on Macaroni Cheese.
An invigorating winter dinner, this goes well with salad or a generous helping of wilted greens. Make more than you need, as this freezes well either before or after it is baked. Recipe courtesy of Riverford Organic.
- 400g macaroni
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 40g butter
- 4 small leeks (about 400g), washed and shredded
- 4 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 800ml milk
- 200g smoked Cheddar, grated, plus extra for topping
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard, or to taste
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Boil the macaroni in a pan of salted water until nearly cooked, about 8 minutes. It should be slightly too al dente to eat. Drain and toss in a little olive oil to stop it sticking together.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a small pan on a low heat.
- Add the leeks and cook gently until soft, about 7 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the flour and stir over a low heat for 2 minutes, then gradually stir in the milk (a whisk helps avoid lumps).
- Add the cheese and heat gently, stirring, to thicken the sauce and melt the cheese.
- Season to taste with mustard, salt and pepper.
- Combine the pasta with the leek mixture and transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle over a little more cheese and the breadcrumbs, if using, and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden on top.